Here is the latest update:
From the California Department of Food and Agriculture
California EHV-1 Causing EHM Disease Update as of 4 PM 6/3/11 ( Note: The next update will be Monday June 6, 2011)
California has two (2) new confirmed case of Equine Herpes Myeloencephalopathy (EHM) caused by EHV-1. The total is now 22 confirmed EHV-1/ EHM cases in the state. The two new confirmed positive horses, located on the same premises, were exposed to a previously confirmed positive Ogden, UT participant.
- The positive confirmed cases are located in the following 13 counties: Amador(1), Colusa(1), Glenn(5), Kern(2), Los Angeles(1), Marin(1), Napa(1), Placer (3), Plumas(1), Sacramento (1), Shasta(1), Stanislaus(3) and Ventura(1).
- Sixteen(16) of the confirmed positive EHV-1/EHM CA cases participated in the National Cutting Horse Association’s Western National Championships in Ogden, Utah.
- Two (2) of the confirmed positive EHV-1/ EHM CA cases participated only in the Kern County Cutting Horse Event on May 13th in Bakersfield, CA.
- Four (4) of the confirmed positive EHV-1/EHM CA cases were exposed horses to an Ogden, UT participant.
- Two (2) confirmed positive EHM horses were euthanized after showing severe neurological signs associated with EHM.
- All positive confirmed EHV-1/EHM cases are under a State Quarantine.